Nigeria and US troops killed Islamic State's No. 2 leader in a raid near the Niger border.
- Nigerian and US troops killed Islamic State's second in command Abu-Bilal al-Minuki
- Operation happened near the Niger border in Nigeria
- Trump ordered a second Nigeria intervention in under a year
Nigerian and US special forces killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, the Islamic State’s second in command, in a predawn raid near Nigeria’s border with Niger on Tuesday. Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari and US President Donald Trump confirmed the operation in separate statements Wednesday, calling it a major blow to the group’s leadership. Al-Minuki, also known as Abu-Sayyaf al-Ansari, was a key figure in Islamic State’s Iraq operations before taking over the group’s global networks last year. Nigerian officials said the strike targeted his hideout in the remote town of Damasak, where he had been hiding for months. Local sources told reporters that US drones and Nigerian helicopters carried out the raid, but Nigerian military spokesman Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu declined to confirm the use of drones. No civilian casualties were reported by the US or Nigerian governments, though several locals said buildings in the area were damaged during the operation. The Nigerian military said it recovered weapons and documents during the raid, which are being analyzed to determine if they contain intelligence about future Islamic State attacks in Africa. This marks the second time in six months that Trump has ordered US military action in Nigeria. In April, the US launched airstrikes against Islamic State-affiliated militants in the northeast, killing dozens. Trump has repeatedly accused the Nigerian government of failing to protect Christian communities from attacks by Islamic extremists, a claim Buhari has denied. The State Department has also raised concerns about the Nigerian military’s human rights record in its fight against Boko Haram and Islamic State’s West Africa Province. Al-Minuki’s death deals another serious blow to Islamic State’s leadership, which has been weakened by a series of US-led operations across Syria, Iraq, and Africa. The group’s African branch, Islamic State’s West Africa Province, has been one of its most resilient affiliates, carrying out frequent attacks in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, and Niger. However, the loss of al-Minuki, who was responsible for coordinating attacks across multiple African countries, could disrupt the group’s operations in the region. Nigerian analyst Idayat Hassan, director of the Centre for Democracy and Development in Abuja, said al-Minuki’s death was a significant setback but warned that Islamic State would likely appoint a replacement quickly. “This will slow them down for a while, but it won’t break them,” Hassan said. “They’ve lost leaders before and have always bounced back.” The raid comes as Nigeria prepares for presidential elections next year, with security a major campaign issue. Buhari, who is stepping down after two terms, has faced criticism over his handling of the insurgency despite recent military successes. The opposition has accused his government of downplaying the scale of the threat to justify its spending on security. Meanwhile, the US State Department has been pushing Nigeria to improve its human rights record, particularly regarding the treatment of detainees suspected of links to extremist groups. The US suspended military aid to Nigeria in 2020 over concerns about human rights abuses, though some cooperation has resumed under a new framework. What happens next is unclear. Islamic State has not yet named a replacement for al-Minuki, but its leadership council in Iraq is expected to appoint someone quickly. The group may also step up attacks in the coming weeks to demonstrate its resilience. For Nigeria, the raid is a political win for Buhari, who has struggled to show decisive action against the insurgency. But analysts warn that the underlying issues fueling extremism—poverty, corruption, and weak governance—remain unaddressed.
What You Need to Know
- Source: RFI
- Published: May 16, 2026 at 07:45 UTC
- Category: World
- Topics: #rfi · #france · #world-news · #war · #military · #defense
Read the Full Story
This is a curated summary. For the complete article, original data, quotes and full analysis:
All reporting rights belong to the respective author(s) at RFI. GlobalBR News summarizes publicly available content to help readers discover the most relevant global news.
Curated by GlobalBR News · May 16, 2026
Related Articles
- Czech beer consumption drops sharply as young drink less
- 🎉 500 Articles in World!
- 🎉 250 Articles in World!
🇧🇷 Resumo em Português
Em uma operação conjunta inédita, as forças nigerianas e estadunidenses abateram Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, segundo homem na hierarquia do Estado Islâmico, durante um ataque no norte da Nigéria. A ação, que representa a segunda intervenção militar dos EUA no país africano desde a posse de Donald Trump, reforça a crescente preocupação internacional com a expansão de grupos jihadistas na África Ocidental, especialmente após a queda do califado físico no Oriente Médio.
O impacto dessa notícia ressoa fortemente no Brasil, país que compartilha laços históricos e culturais com a África e enfrenta desafios semelhantes no combate ao terrorismo transnacional. Especialistas destacam que, embora o foco do Estado Islâmico tenha se deslocado para regiões como o Sahel, a atuação de células afiliadas na região pode ampliar redes de recrutamento e financiamento, ameaçando a segurança global. Além disso, a participação dos EUA em ações militares em solo africano levanta debates sobre soberania e colaboração internacional, temas que ganham relevância em um momento de tensões geopolíticas.
A eliminação de al-Minuki pode fragilizar temporariamente a estrutura do grupo, mas analistas alertam que a ameaça jihadista na África deve persistir, exigindo vigilância contínua e estratégias coordenadas entre nações. O próximo passo será monitorar possíveis represálias ou tentativas de reorganização do Estado Islâmico na região.
🇪🇸 Resumen en Español
El poderoso Abu-Bilal al-Minuki, lugarteniente de la organización terrorista Estado Islámico, cayó abatido en una operación conjunta entre fuerzas nigerianas y estadounidenses en el noreste de Nigeria, un golpe que sacude los cimientos de la insurgencia yihadista en África. El operativo, segundo de este tipo durante la era Trump, refuerza la colaboración militar bilateral pero también reaviva el debate sobre la efectividad de las intervenciones extranjeras en conflictos complejos.
El éxito de la misión, aunque celebrado por las autoridades, no oculta los desafíos pendientes: la región sigue siendo un foco de inestabilidad donde grupos como Boko Haram mantienen su influencia, mientras la población civil sufre el peso de una violencia endémica. Para los hispanohablantes, este episodio recuerda la amenaza global del terrorismo y plantea preguntas incómodas: ¿hasta qué punto las acciones militares externas pueden resolver crisis arraigadas en el hambre, la pobreza y el radicalismo? La historia de Nigeria, con su rico patrimonio cultural y sus cicatrices de guerra, exige respuestas más profundas que las balas.
RFI
Read full article at RFI →This post is a curated summary. All rights belong to the original author(s) and RFI.
Was this article helpful?
Discussion